HI Portland Hawthorne Hostel is Portland’s original hostel, located in the bohemian Hawthorne District of Southeast Portland. The house that our hostel occupies was built in 1909. In 1984 it was transformed into the hostel it is today. Safe accommodation for independent travelers. We have 34 beds including 2 private rooms, 2 co-ed dorm rooms with men and women together, as well as segregated women’s and men’s dorms. We also have a full kitchen for guest use and welcoming common spaces. For the past quarter-century HI Portland Hawthorne Hostel has welcomed thousands of travelers from the United States and all over the world. We pride ourselves on our sustainable business practices which include and green roof, rain water collection and more. This year we even received Gold Certification from Sustainability at Work. Inside and on the property you’ll find brightly colored walls, mosaics, a custom built NW themed stage, a spacious backyard in the city and all the features that make us your eco-home-away-from-home.
HI Portland Hawthorne Hostel is run by, and a member of, Hostelling International USA (HI USA), a non-profit (501c3) organization. It’s mission is “To help all, especially the young, gain a greater understanding of the world and it’s peoples through hostelling.”
Why stay with us?
- We have a great location in the Hawthorne District, with walking distance to bars and restaurants, live music, and beautiful parks
- Easy public transportation to the city center. The #14 bus picks up right outside our door and is a 10 minute ride to downtown.
- We are and eco-friendly friendly hostel with sustainable features such as an eco-roof, a rainwater collection system which diverts surplus rain water through our toilettes, We recycle 70% of our waste and have on-site compost, we use only eco-friendly cleaning products, and we have gained Gold Certification form Sustainability at Work for 2011-2014
- Free and easy parking
- We have a full kitchen available for guest use.
- Often local businesses will donate bread and bagels which we provide to guests at no cost. Each Sunday we hold a potluck brunch for guests and community members
- Free local and travel information is available. In addition to maps and destination recommendations, each of our staff members are Portland residents and would be happy to advise you.
- We provide bike rentals to our guests, and our rental rates are the best deal in Portland.
- The environment of our hostel has often been described by guests as “homey”, and our building certainly has charm. It is a lovely house, built in 1909, with a huge yard and vegetable gardens.
- We have ongoing events out our hostel which help guest connect to each other, the community, and to explore the surrounding area.