Guide to our On-Site Sustainability Efforts
Our Sustainability Statement
The interconnections and processes that make life possible are precious. Our goal is to tread as lightly as possible. As business leaders we are committed to implementing procedures that acknowledge the importance of an ongoing commitment to environmental, socio-cultural and economic responsibility.
Under Hostelling International, we are classified as a Designated Sustainable Living Center. We have long embraced the environmental ethics that thrive throughout our city and serve as a community demonstration site due to our exemplary practices and visibility.
The City of Portland nurtures and inspires our desire. We see ourselves as a small microcosm of Portland, which emanates the spirit of our City’s worldly holding as the most environmentally con-scious city in the USA.
Our Sustainable Purchasing Policy
HI Portland Hawthorne Hostel will work to the extent possible to purchase equipment, materials and products that are recyclable, made of recycled content, reduce waste or energy, made of non-toxic ingredients and/or are locally made.
Our Sustainability Features
- Trex Decking
- Common green room with recycled jean insulation, bamboo floors, salvaged windows and doors, Metro recycled paint and FSC certified lumber.
- Community built cob bench
- Biokleen cleaning supplies and laundry powder
- Onsite vegetable garden
- Carbon reduction plan in place
- 85% of our waste is recycled
- Onsite composting
- Book and clothing exchange
- Reusable shopping bags available
- Recycled printer ink used in printers
- Used printer ink cartridges recycled
- Recycled paper products in use
- 100% of our electricity consumption is offset by purchasing renewable power from PGE
- Energy Star appliances and CFL’s in use
- Solar attic fan
- Non-motorized reel mower used to mow lawn
- Low flow showerheads, faucets and toilets
- 8,000 gallon rainwater harvesting system that supplies our toilets with water nine months out of the year and prevents 42,000 gallons of water from entering Portland’s sewer system annually.
Storm Water Management
- Four eco-roofs totaling 1,050 square feet
- 516 square foot bioswale
- 110 square foot permeable wall that drains into our bioswale
- Xeriscaping and native plant landscaping
Promoting Alternative Transport
- Bike friendly hostel with bike rentals, racks and discount for touring cyclists.
- Member of the Zip Car car sharing
- program with discount for guests.
- Tri-met schedules and maps onsite
- Free link to Tri-met website on hostel internet kiosk
- 75% of guests use public transportation during their stay.
- Rideshare board
Free Hostel Eco-Tours
Seeing is believing! The hostel offers free eco-tours for groups of any size and age. Tour our facility, get a close up view of our eco-roof, sit in our cob bench, wonder in awe of the permeable wall and get an insiders view into how we made it happen.
To schedule or for more info contact: