Environmental Programs for Girl Scouts
Girl Scout Programs are Finished for the Year!
Thanks to all the Troops that Participated!
Check with us again in the Fall of 2013 about next year’s programs for Girl Scouts.
Join us at the Hawthorne Hostel for Our Special
Sustainable Watershed Programs for Girl Scouts!
Explore the wonders and worries of urban watersheds. Girls play with a watershed model and enjoy an eco-tour of the Hawthorne Hostel as they learn how storm water affects our rivers and streams.
Day Program – 10am – 12noon
Soaking up Stormwater Day Program (Juniors—Ambassadors)
Enjoy an eco-tour of the HI– Portland Hawthorne Hostel and discover all the ways we soak up over 50,000 gallons of rainwater each year. Learn about the city’s Tabor to River Program, tour green streets around the hostel, learn about green storm water solutions, design greener cities and calculate run-off. Incorporates math, science, engineering and urban planning.
Day Program – 10am-1pm
New! Organic Cultural Kitchen (Seniors –Ambassadors)
Experience a new twist to our Cultural Kitchen program at the HI-Portland Hawthorne Hostel. Learn about sustainable food systems in addition to the culture and people beyond US borders. During the overnight, there will be a behind the scene tour at New Seasons Market and cook a sustainable meal from the country you choose. This program involves research and putting information into a presentation before the overnight (3-4 troop meetings).
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT OUT ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS PLEASE CONTACT:
Environmental Programs Manager
Portland Hawthorne Hostel
email@example.com – (503) 236-3380
PROGRAM FEES and IMPORTANT INFO
- We require a 50% deposit for all programs and require two weeks notice to cancel without penalty.
- We require a minimum 5 girls to run a program. The maximum number per program is 15.
- Troop Leaders will be sent a program contract to sign, photo releases for the girls and a program schedule.
- Some activities occur outside, please dress appropriately.
- All participants go home with a H2O Conversation Kit to use or identify a group in need with your troop mates and share them.